Some times being a little creative with tried and tested recipes really turn out to be winners. This savoury bread pudding is delicious comfort food, great for a winter’s dinner and you can totally add bacon and serve this at breakfast.
- 1 loaf of day old crusty white bread such as ciabatta, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups cream
- 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion finely diced
- 1 x bunch of kale, chopped into 1 cm piece
- 1 cup of exotic mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup pecorino Romano, grated
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Whisk eggs in large bowl. Add milk, half and half, mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg; whisk.
- Add bread and fold into egg mixture. Let soak for an hour or overnight, stir the mixture occasionally.
- Next cook onion, mushroom and kale in butter and olive oil, season and add thyme.
- After bread mixture has soaked, stir onion mixture and ½ the amount of grated cheese.
- Butter a baking dish or 8 – 10 small serving dishes
- Transfer bread mixture to dish and spread out evenly.
- Add the remaining cheese to the top of the mixture
- Bake for 20- 30 minutes.
- Grill for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown.
… Food Is Love …
For more “love-filled” recipes, do not forget to subscribe to my blog.
Follow me on the following Social Media platforms: