- 500g fresh oxtails (get your butcher to slice them into pieces in between the bones – we need the to be smaller pieces)
- 10 slices of bacon cut into 2.5cm pieces
- ½ cup flour, seasoned liberally with salt and pepper
- 1 litre beef stock
- 115g tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 bouquet garni
- 4 large leeks, chopped coarsely
- 2 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 6 large carrots, 2 chopped coarsely and 4 diced finely
- 20 button mushrooms, quartered
- 250 ml red wine – Ill bring this in
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- Wipe the oxtails dry with a paper towel.
- Put seasoned flour in a resalable plastic bag, then add the Oxtail and shake to coat with flour.
- Roast oxtail on the open flames to get a nice char.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in the potjie and sauté bacon pieces.
- Add the 4 finely diced carrots to the pot together with the chopped onions and the leeks, and sautée until softened.
- Return the oxtail and bacon to the pot and add the bouquet garni, bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, tomato sauce, beef stock and red wine.
- Bring slowly to the boil. Cover tightly with a lid and allow to cook undisturbed for 4 -6 hours.
- One hour before serving, add the remaining carrots and mushrooms and continue cooking slowly, without stirring.
… Food Is Love …
For more “love-filled” recipes, do not forget to subscribe to my blog.
Follow me on the following Social Media platforms: