Everyone loves sweet waffles but have you ever tried a savoury waffle? Today is the day. Savory waffles …yeah they are a thing and once you try this recipe they will become your favourite weekend treat.
Bacon Cheddar Waffles:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tsp of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Bwell cooking spray for the waffle iron
Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Sriracha
- Bwell Fry well Oil
Maple Sriracha Aioli:
- 1/3 cup Bwell Creamy Gourmet mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs Sriracha hot sauce
Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and black pepper.
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl and set it aside.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk together.
- Pour into the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted butter and buttermilk. Using a wooden spoon, stir the waffle batter until just combined.
- It should be slightly lumpy. If the batter appears to be too thick, add a little more buttermilk and stir until pouring consistency is reached.
- Mix in the cooked chopped bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and sliced green onions.
- Lightly grease the waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Pour in about ½ cup batter in each waffle cavity (more or less depending on the size of a waffle iron). Cook until the waffles are golden brown and crispy
- Place the cooked waffles aside.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Cover with buttermilk and add the hot sauce, if using.
- Toss together until evenly mixed and all the chicken is submerged in the buttermilk. Cover with plastic
- Wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (this is not a must if you don’t have the time, but the longer the chicken marinates in the buttermilk, the more tender and juicy it becomes!)
- In a shallow dish combine the cornstarch, flour, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper.
- To coat the chicken, grab a piece from the buttermilk bowl, slightly drain off, and throw into the cornstarch and flour mixture. Pat the mixture into the chicken, on both sides.
- Return to the buttermilk bowl and coat both sides again. Place the chicken back into the flour, once more, and coat both sides.
- Lay the coated chicken on a rack placed over a baking sheet. Allow the coated chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Place chicken into the heated deep fryer oil. Fry for 7 min.
- Remove from oil and allow to drain on a cooling rack.
- Stake your waffle with chicken, toppings and secure with a squarer stick and enjoy!
… Food Is Love …
For more “love-filled” recipes, do not forget to subscribe to my blog.
Follow me on the following Social Media platforms: